Yesterday was probably the worst day ever for me and James. He is teething, and is on a roller coaster of pain, screaming, yelling, temper tantrums, crying and just general frustration. I do everything I can to console him, love him, medicate him, play with him, appease him and discipline him. But--let's just say that yesterday was ROUGH. I feel so bad for him because he knows exactly what he wants to say to me, but he doesn't know the words. As frustrated as I got, he must have been REALLY FRUSTRATED not being able to express himself with his words.
Anyhow, I got some late notice of a gathering of the mommies from playgroup for one of their birthdays. I decided to head on over. Keep in mind that I was not in a good state of mind and I was nauseous (as usual) so I wasn't in a great mood. I kissed James night night, kissed Chris and headed out the door.
When I arrived at the restaurant, I sat down, and all of a sudden, amidst all of these women, I found myself taking a big, deep breath in, and RELAXING. I think I might very well have needed a little change of pace. That made me feel terrible in and of itself, because of course, I love James to pieces. BUT--having some social time with my friends was pretty good, and I needed it.
About 8:30pm I was thinking about heading home. I reached into my bag to get my wallet, and this is what I saw:
It was James' little Hess motorcycle dude. I almost started crying. At that moment, I was filled with a sense of guilt for needing a break, and all I wanted to do was scoop my little boy up and give him kisses and hugs. Why are we moms so hard on ourselves?
Saturday, January 26, 2008
Breathe In, Hold It, Breathe Out . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Anyhow, I got some late notice of a gathering of the mommies from playgroup for one of their birthdays. In that sentence there shud b a THE in there. It shud b: Anyhow, I got some late notice of a gathering of the mommies from the playgroup for one of their birthdays. Thats wat i think.
i am happy to read that i am not the only one that has the teething/i need a break guilt. my daughter is going through the same thing and i fell so bad for her, but come 5-6pm, i am ready for bed. she is at her grandma's house right now because i have a a killer headache. i have called twice in the past 2 hours to see if she is ok. why do we do this to ourselves?
i guess because we're moms. :)
Banana, when you can get 100%s on your spelling tests, then you can tell me how to write. Didn't you see your Mom's post? Now, if I was swimming the 400 back, and my form was crappy, you could correct me, since you are such a great swimmer. HA! Redhead--I hear you. Teething is hard to cope through!
Allison - here is the funny part - she does get 100 percent on her spelling tests - its just all that in between stuff! Anyway - the teething thing doesn't stop - Hannah is getting her molars and is just as grumpy as Garrin!! That's what a nice trip to Auntie Gini's is for anyway.
Post a Comment